Demian Battaglia, CR CNRS
- Phone number:
- +33 7 69 99 48 10
After undergraduate studies at the University of Turin and a PhD at SISSA (Trieste, Italy) at the interface between statistical physics, information theory and computer science, I redirected my interest toward computational neuroscience starting in 2006 a first postdoc at the Laboratory of Neurophysics and Physiology (University Paris Descartes, CNRS UMR 8119), under the direction of David Hansel and Nicolas Brunel.
In 2009, I moved then to the Max Planck Institute for Dynamics and Selforganization (Göttingen, Germany), working among others with Theo Geisel and Fred Wolf. Since May 2010, I am Principal investigator in the local Bernstein Center for Computational Neuroscience, directing a project about modeling and data-analysis of flexible inter-circuit interactions.
Since September 2013, I integrated the Institute for Systems Neuroscience at University Aix-Marseille, first as Marie Curie Fellow and then as CNRS faculty Research Scientist, working to extend at the brain-wide scale my previous investigations on the interplay between structure, function and emergent dynamics.
Current research topics
1. Palmigiano A, Geisel T, Wolf F, Battaglia D. Flexible information routing by transient synchrony. Nature Neuroscience. 2017, advance online publication.
2. Helmer M, Schottdorf M, Neef A, Battaglia D. Gender bias in scholarly peer review. eLife. 2017; 6: 6:e21718. doi: 10.7554/eLife.21718
3. Kirst C, Timme M, Battaglia D. Dynamic information routing in complex networks. Nature Communications. 2016; 7: 11061. doi: 10.1038/ncomms11061
4. Hansen ECA, Battaglia D, Spiegler A, Deco G, Jirsa VK. Functional connectivity dynamics: modeling the switching behavior of the resting state. NeuroImage. 2015;105: 525–535. doi:10.1016/j.neuroimage.2014.11.001
5. Orlandi JG, Stetter O, Soriano J, Geisel T, Battaglia D. Transfer entropy reconstruction and labeling of neuronal connections from simulated calcium imaging. PLoS ONE. 2014;9: e98842. doi:10.1371/journal.pone.0098842
6. Witt A, Palmigiano A, Neef A, Hady El A, Wolf F, Battaglia D. Controlling the oscillation phase through precisely timed closed-loop optogenetic stimulation: a computational study. Front Neural Circuits. 2013;7: 49. doi:10.3389/fncir.2013.00049
7. Battaglia D, Karagiannis A, Gallopin T, Gutch HW, Cauli B. Beyond the frontiers of neuronal types. Front Neural Circuits. 2013;7: 13. doi:10.3389/fncir.2013.00013
8. Battaglia D, Witt A, Wolf F, Geisel T. Dynamic Effective Connectivity of Inter-Areal Brain Circuits. PLoS Comp Biol. 2012;8: e1002438. doi:10.1371/journal.pcbi.1002438
9. Battaglia D, Hansel D. Synchronous chaos and broad band gamma rhythm in a minimal multi-layer model of primary visual cortex. PLoS Comp Biol. 2011;7: e1002176. doi:10.1371/journal.pcbi.1002176
10. Battaglia D, Brunel N, Hansel D. Temporal decorrelation of collective oscillations in neural networks with local inhibition and long-range excitation. Phys Rev Lett. 2007;99: 238106.